NC Probate Forms

Updated May 22, 2024
Show Table of Contents

There are a number of state-specific forms you may need when going through the probate process.

General Forms

In North Carolina, the local Superior Court handles wills and estate probate. If you are using EstateExec and you enter the decedent's county of legal residence on the Decedent tab, you will see a direct link to the appropriate Superior Court here.

You can check with your local court for the forms they might prefer, and below you will find some of the more common NC forms:

  1. Application for Probate and Letters (Form E-201) - Get the settlement process started
  2. Petition for Summary Probate Administration (Form E-905) - Simplified settlement process if the sole inheritor is a surviving spouse
  3. Application for Letters of Administration (Form E-202) - Get the settlement process started if there is no will
  4. Bond Waiver (Form E-202) - Attach to Application if desired and not addressed by will
  5. Notice to Beneficiary (Form E-405) - Send to heirs named in the will
  6. Affidavit of Notice to Creditors (Form E-307) - Tell the court you have made the required notices
  7. Inventory (Form E-505) - List estate contents for the court
  8. Heir Receipt (Form E-521) - Confirmation of distribution receipt by heir
  9. Final Account (Form E-506) - Submit estate Final Accounting to court

See NC Estate Forms for a more complete list of forms that may be required in certain situations, as well as instructions for some of the forms. Also see NC Probate Guide for a nice overview of the probate process.

Small Estates

Small estates sometimes need only 1 specialized form or affidavit: see Small NC Estates.

Additional Information

See also Overall Probate Process in NC.

Copyright © 2014-24 EstateExec