Settling Small Estates (OK)

Updated Apr 5, 2024
Show Table of Contents Courthouse for estate probate

In Oklahoma, small estates can completely bypass probate via small estate affidavit, or simplify it via summary administration. Regardless of estate size, probate is not required if an estate contains only assets exempt from probate.

Small Estate Affidavit

If an Oklahoma estate has a gross value <$50,000, you can use the small estate process to settle the estate with no court involvement.


To use the small estate process, the following conditions must be true:

  • The entire probate estate has a gross value <$50K
  • At least 10 days have passed since the death
  • No petition has already been made to the court to officially appoint a personal representative

In determining the gross value of the estate, you should value assets as of the date of death, and ignore any unsecured debts (but do subtract things like liens and mortgages). Do not include any assets that would not normally go through probate, such as community property with right of survivorship, assets with named beneficiaries (e.g., 401Ks, life insurance policies), and other standard probate exclusions.


To use the small estate process:

  1. Prepare a Small Estate Affidavit (see below)
  2. Pay or arrange for all estate debts and taxes to be paid (perhaps once you collect estate assets)
  3. Obtain possession of estate assets by presenting the affidavit to current custodians (this affidavit cannot be used to collect real estate)
  4. Settle the estate in the normal way (pay debts, distribute remaining assets)
  5. If you are transferring a vehicle, submit Form MVC-405 to the Motor Vehicle Department
  6. If everything goes smoothly, no court involvement will ever be required


You can use this Small Estate Affidavit Form provided by Cleveland County, or create your own.

The small estate affidavit must include:

  • The name of the decedent, address, and date of death
  • Statements that each of the above requirements are true
  • A statement that all taxes and debts of the estate have been paid or otherwise provided for
  • A description of the assets being claimed (consider attaching the EstateExec Inventory Report)
  • Names and addresses of heirs claiming the assets, and their percentages
  • A statement that each claiming inheritor is entitled to payment or delivery of the property in the listed percentages

It is not necessary to try to unify everything into a single affidavit, but that can sometimes be the most efficient.

It seems more impressive to have every inheritor sign the affidavit, and have each signature notarized, but in truth only the person who will actually present the affidavit needs to sign it, swearing that everything is true.

Attach a copy of the death certificate and the will (if one exists).

See OK Stat § 58-393.

Summary Administration

Summary Administration (also known as simplified probate) can be used for somewhat larger estates, or if you simply want court involvement so that enforcement and protection are a bit more formalized.


You can use summary administration if you are named as personal representative in the will, or any such people have waived their right of appointment in your favor, and any of the following are true:

  • The value of the probate estate is <$200,000
  • Or, the decedent died more than 5 years ago
  • Or, the decedent resided out-of-state at the time of death

In determining the value of the estate, you should value assets as of the date of death, and subtract any debts. Do not include any assets that would not normally go through probate, such as community property with right of survivorship, assets with named beneficiaries (e.g., 401Ks, life insurance policies), and other standard probate exclusions.


To settle an estate via summary administration:

  1. Submit to the court a Petition for Summary Administration (see below)
  2. The court may require you to obtain a bond
  3. Upon approval, the court will issue you Letters of Special Administration
  4. Use your "Letters" to collect estate assets, and then settle the estate in the normal way (pay debts, make distributions)


The petition must:

  • State the interest of the petitioner (e.g., named in the will as personal representative, heir, etc.)
  • State the name, age, and date of death of the decedent, and the county and state of the decedent's domicile at the time of death
  • If a will exists, attach the original or a certified copy, and include a statement that you believe the attachment is the decedent's last will, that you believe the will to have been validly executed, and that after the exercise of due diligence, that you are unaware of any instrument revoking the will. Also state whether the will has been admitted to probate in any other jurisdiction.
  • If the decedent died intestate, state that you diligently searched for and failed to find a will
  • List the names, ages, and last-known addresses of the administrators, executors, non-petitioning co-nominees, heirs, legatees and devisees of the decedent
  • State the probable value and character of the property of the estate and the legal description of all real property owned by the decedent in Oklahoma (consider attaching an EstateExec Inventory Report)
  • State whether an application or petition for the appointment of a personal representative is pending or has been granted in any jurisdiction
  • A statement of the request, which may include a prayer for the court to admit the will (if any) to probate, to appoint the person requested in the petition as personal representative, to determine the heirs, devisees and legatees of the decedent, to approve the final account, to distribute the property of the estate and to discharge the personal representative

In addition to attaching any will, attach:

  • A copy of the death certificate
  • A signed and notarized waiver from anyone else entitled to serve as personal administrator, stating that they waive their right to appointment
  • A signed and notarized waiver from everyone who will inherit, stating that they do not require you to submit to the court an official Final Accounting

See OK Stat § 58-245.

Estate Settlement Considerations

Before paying any debts or making any distributions, be sure to account for any Family Entitlements in OK, which typically have priority over everything except expenses of the last illness, funeral charges, and any estate administrations expenses.

Even if the estate does not go through probate, you may still be entitled to Executor Compensation in OK, and this compensation also has priority over most estate debts.

Estate debts have priority over most distributions in turn, so before distributing assets you should resolve any estate debts. If the estate makes any distributions beyond amounts set aside for family entitlements, unpaid creditors have the right to sue the recipients for repayment using those excess distributions. Consequently, even if the settlement process does not require you to publish a Notice to Creditors, you may want to follow OK probate rules for finding estate debts, since doing so may limit the time creditors have to pursue repayment.

If estate solvency is uncertain, an executor should consider going through official probate for the increased creditor protection it offers. Alternately, such uncertainty can sometimes persuade creditors to forgive a portion of debts, since they will want to avoid legal expenses as well, and may prefer to get something rather than nothing.

See also Making Distributions.


In Oklahoma, the local District Court handles wills and estate probate. If you are using EstateExec and you enter the decedent's county of legal residence on the Decedent tab, you will see a direct link to the appropriate Superior Court here.

Additional Information

If your estate doesn't qualify for a small estate approach, or you're simply interested in exploring standard probate, take a look at Probate in OK.

And since probate is just the court-supervised subset of winding up a person's affairs after death, you'll probably want to check out our Complete Guide to Estate Settlement in OK.

Finally, in case you're interested, details about handling small estates in other states can be found here:

Copyright © 2014-24 EstateExec